Monday, May 31, 2010

Colored Pencils

I have been slowly getting a few Caran d'Ache Luminance colored pencils. I like them for the different colors they have. They cost twice as much as most of the other pencils (around $3 apiece). But each time I make an order with Dick Blick, I order a couple of the pricey pencils.

I have also been building up a supply of Caran d'Ache Pablos. I like colored pencils that are dryer and not as waxy. Derwent Studios, Pablos, and Prismacolor Verithins are all favorites of mine.

As most colored pencil artists know...you can never have enough pencils.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so right Jeanne. We can never have enough pencils.
i love them.
I am very interested in reading what you thing of the Caran D'Ache pencils. I can't wait to get some. i know they are expensive but I hope they are worth the extra.

I will try purchasing a few at a time . makes them more affordable.
Thanks for sharing you thoughts.

Lene Daugaard said...

so true - all those lovely colors ;) I like pablos very much too.

ArtistUnplugged said...

I have not been blogging as much lately with the kids home all day. I have looked over some of your posts. First, the marching band cards are beautiful! I think I missed your birthday...hope it was a relaxing and good day and that this year will be a good one for you. I know it is different now. I am not familiar with the Caran D'Ache pencils, only prismacolor but you have my interest stirred on them. Take care.

Teresa said...

Not sure which brand of pencils I prefer. I tend to use them all, selecting them based mostly on color. Nice to have options!

suzanneberry said...

I love your work Jeanne. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'll be back to see more!

Making A Mark said...

That's the way I'm building up my stock of Luminance

I'm finding that they are so pigmenr rich I don't seem to need to sharpen them as much because the colour goes down well first time

On the dryer pencils front if you see any Derwent Artists pencils you might like to try these as they are dry but are wonderful for constant layering without bloom or blobby bits.