Monday, November 29, 2010

Steve's Birthday

Today would have been my brother Steve's birthday. He was 4 years younger than me and the youngest of 3 of us. He passed away several years ago from complications from drugs. He was only 46. Such a short life but he wasn't having a good life. He had been on drugs for years and just couldn't get off of them.

His son is Stephen, my nephew who just got married. I feel bad that Steve never got to meet his granddaughter. He would have been so overjoyed at being a grandfather, and he would have adored Kylie. I know that I still miss him a lot.

Today I went shopping. I got a couple of Christmas gifts and some new art supplies. Always a good thing when I get new art supplies. I think every artist agrees with that. No matter how many pencils, paints, pastels, etc you have, you still want more. I guess we are afraid we might run out. Not likely at my place but it still doesn't keep me from buying.

I bought a small candle that smells like cinnamon rolls. I'm not sure that was a wise purchase. I have been hungry for sweets since I brought it home. I haven't even lit it yet. Now I'm scared it will smell like baking cinnamon rolls when lit. I'm not sure my will power can handle that. The shopping bag sure smelled good tho.

I bought the packaging for mailing my portrait I did for the swap. It is all packaged and ready for the mail tomorrow. I'm not sure how long it will take to get to England but I hope it gets there safely.

All my trades are finished and my cards for the Christmas card exchange have been mailed. I received my first one today. In fact I got 2 cards today. One from the trade and one from a friend in Las Vegas. Christmas is coming fast.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a nice tribute to your brother and his family. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have a good day today. :)

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

I understand that feeling of loss.
It helps me to do something positive and happy on the day of the birthday.

Teresa said...

46 is so very young. Seems that way to me since I'm several years past it. Glad you have Stephen, Cece and Kylie to bring a smile to you.

Next time buy the Fir Tree scented candle ;-)

Joan said...

It is hard when you think about those that you have lost, especially when they are missing out on such wonderful things. This is a hard time of year for you.

I had to laugh about the candle smell. I would probably have the same reaction and want something sweet. lol

ArtistUnplugged said...

Gone too soon for sure, my sympathies as you still miss him. Glad you got out and enjoyed yourself with supplies and gift shopping. Enjoy your Wednesday!