I haven't thought too much about this but I guess that I should. Especially as the year seems to fly by so fast. I do have several things I want to work on during the coming year.
1. I want to continue to improve my colored pencil art. I have been doing it about a year now and even though I still consider graphite my medium of choice, colored pencil is slowly working it's way to the top. The main thing I would like to work on this year with colored pencil is portraits.
I can do portraits of animals and get the shading and contours of faces, but when I try to do the same with people faces with color, I seem to have a hard time. The faces seem to look dirty to me. And as I've admitted many times, I just don't "see" the different colors in faces.
I see many beautiful portraits that have blues, greens, purples and many other colors. But when I look at a face, I just can't seem to see those colors. I think maybe I should just start with one color and try with it. Since I can do portraits in the Derwent Drawing pencils using only 3 colors, there should not be this much problem for me. But....
2. I have been very lax at drawing every day (which I preach to people all the time). I was drawing every day for over a year or so. Lately I go days without doing anything at all. I have even stopped doing much in the Scavenger Hunts. I plan to participate more in the hunts and draw something daily. I'd better hurry for today as I haven't done anything yet today.
3. I need to spend less time on the computer. When I am home, I spend off and on all day on the computer. I will check email and the threads at Wetcanvas and that will lead to something else and on and on. When you do that several times a day (and quite late in the night), you don't get much of anything else done.
4. I want to spend more time reading some of the art books I have. I like to read but since I found art, I very rarely read a book. Plus I fall asleep reading (and with the late nights, I fall asleep sitting up in front of the computer).
5. I need to eat healthier. I have gained so much weight since last January. I had lost weight from my Knee surgery but made up for that and then some. I don't eat right and I like Dr. Pepper and sweets. Not a good combination.
6. I want to spend more time on my Bible studies and going to church. I have let that become a once in awhile thing and that is not good enough. I need to feed my spiritual side more and show my appreciation for the life I have been given.
7. Back to art. I want to spend some time doing some artwork that gets framed and can be used for hanging in the local art association gallery. Most of what I do never gets framed unless I am doing it for a competition/show at the gallery.
8. I will continue to enter the open shows at the gallery where my artwork hangs for a month during each competition. And I will continue to go with my plein air group on Wednesday mornings.
9. I plan to get more sleep. My days and nights have been turned around. I don't feel as good lately because I don't get enough sleep. With a truck driver for a spouse, my sleep gets disturbed at different times each day. His schedule changes every day. He sometimes leaves in the wee hours. Even though I don't get up with him, I am half awake while he is getting ready for work. Then can't get back to sleep.
Other times I will be up late, help him get off to work, then go to bed. Even when I go to bed at a decent time, I tend to lie awake until the wee hours. And by wee, I mean 4 or 5 am. Then I sleep till 10 unless the dogs wake me to go out. Those times leave me with a headache (and the falling asleep sitting up at the computer).
10. I will try to at least keep my house a little more orderly. (and that doesn't mean ironing sheets Katherine-can't believe anyone irons sheets) I don't even iron shirts. When I put something in the dryer, it had better come out ready to wear.
There are quite a few more things I could list but I will stop at 10. These 10 will be a hard enough road for me to follow. If I am getting more sleep, when will I spend more time on housework, art, Bible study, etc, etc, etc. So you see my problem. Anyone know how to stretch more hours out of a day?
Happy New Year to all.