Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Walking on Empty


I did way too much walking today and am paying for it. I made one too many laps around the plein air site. It was a beautiful day. Loads of shade. I picked a spot where I would be shaded no matter how high the sun got. Also my choice had several different views I wanted to sketch. Thus no moving around and shuffling my supplies.

I did 5 pages of art and 3 of them were for the scavenger hunt. I needed a sculpture and found one that I really liked doing. I sketched it in graphite and then added watercolor. I am pleased with how it turned out.

I also needed some steps and sketched the steps of the gazebo. And last I needed a row of something and chose a row of trees. That helped to get three more things done for the hunt.

There were 6 of us there today. Two oil painters who painted the gazebo. Two who concentrated on the front of the building. And the fifth was sketching/painting the side of the building with all the foliage. Then about noon we had our lunch and critique in the gazebo. A good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Making A Mark said...

Jeanne - so sensible staying out of the heat. If I get in the sun I roast and can't see what I'm doing because of the glare off the paper!

Sounds like you've got a good group going. It's good when people do different things - you get to learn more.

I like the sketch. Have you tried drawing a border on your paper and then painting within that. That way if you want to frame it you've got a margin for going unde the mat.